Saturday, April 09, 2005

Jack-HAMMER

Hello once again,

It's been a while. I feel like a lot has happened, but things are moving so quicky that I'm having a hard time remembering one thing from another.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that I haven't slept in almost a week. Well, 5 days really. I live on the third floor of my building. This building has walls that are made of paper and have NO insulation. So anyway, day one of sleeplessness I get woken up around 9:45am and I hear hammering on the first floor. I was able to drown out the sound by mashing my head between two pillows. Day two, same thing, 9:45 (I know some of you think that's not early, but remember I work from 230-930pm and then usually hang out for a while after). Day three, and this is exciting, Jackhammering! Yep, I realize that they are trying to build an office or something on the first floor directly under my building. So, to my utter disgust, they begin jackhammering at 8am! I had to get up, shower and get the heck outta there as quickly as possible. My dad called around 930am and I had to yell for him to hear me and I could barely hear him cause the hammering was so loud in my apartment. I walked about 10 minutes from my house to this coffee shop called Red Mango to chill, talk on the phone, and read for a while. I figured that the jackhammering would subside at some point (but it didn't until I was ready for work). Ok, so here's the clincher, day four. I'm thinking, it's Saturday, they won't start too early, even though I"m fully aware that most all Koreans work on Saturdays. So I go to sleep around 2am on Friday night only to be awoken at 6:45am, no I'm not exaggerating, it was flippin early! I was so mad at this point that I was stomping around my apartment muttering to myself cursing a blue streak. I grabbed a quilt and a pillow and I marched upstairs to Rob's (he's on the opposite side from the building, so you can still hear the noise but it's nowhere near as loud). Anyway, I bust into Rob's and I'm still muttering about 6:45am, jackhammering, and how I want to throw stuff out my window. I crash on his couch, but not before Rob rolls over and happily says "Good Morning!" and then falls asleep again, never remembering that this incident even happened. I was so angry that I almost couldn't fall back to sleep with all of my thoughts of how I could injure the men outside, or figure out how to curse at them in Korean for waking me up so many days in a row. I was feeling pretty crappy that day as I went to Korean lessons at 10am. I was pretty positive that Sunday there wasn't going to be anyone hammering or tearing up a room, but oh was I wrong. 10am (not nearly as bad as anything before 7) I woke up to hammering, but I was pleased to hear that it stopped about 20 minutes later.

So after all of these shannanigans, it'll be lovely to see how I awaken this coming Monday morning. I'm starting to feel pretty sick actually and I'm definitely losing my voice (there was one point that I yelled out the window in English and then inserted an "ANYO", which means NO! in Korean. It's all I knew...I was desparate.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with that. I might get arrested for throwing eggs at these guys, who knows!?! Maybe you'll see me in international news. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home