Saturday, September 20, 2008

Rainy Day Blues

It's raining and we're bored. Well, a little tired and a little bored. We can't really hang out at our house because we have no furniture, no internet, no cable, etc and since it's raining there isn't much to do outside, not to mention the fact that we have no money to spend, so shopping is out of the question. For now, we are sitting in a smoke filled PC Bang across the street from our house listening to young Korean boys yell "AAA SAAAH!" When they do something good in their computer game.

On the bright side, I bought a cell phone today from a random dude in Itaewon. It's a relatively new phone and a thousand times better than the last Korean phone that I had, however it's not hard to beat a 15 year old phone with no English option. This one is a slide phone and kinda looks like the phone I had in Vancouver, but a little more flashy. The downside is that I am unable to activate my phone for prepay until I get my passport and alien card back from Immigration. We went on Friday to drop off all of our stuff so that we can apply for internet accounts and bank accounts, however I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to buy a prepaid phone card without ID. That is the weirdest concept to me. Why do I need to provide ID when I am paying upfront for a phone card? At home, you just drop in to 7-11 and pick one up and dial it into the cell phone that you have. Why do they care WHO they are selling the cards to?

Regardless, I'm a communication junkie, so having no internet and no phone is killing me. Aside from that, I'm online everyday looking for someone who is selling their old furniture cause the 3 tiny stools that we have in our apartment are really driving me crazy. There is nowhere to crash out when you have a blah rainy day in the city.

In other news, I think that I'm going to start taking Korean lessons next month. The same church that I took them from last time, OEM, is offering a new semester of lessons starting October 18th and I think that John is interested in learning to read and speak as well. However, he's been doing quite an incredible job at reading and remembering how to ask for things. We even sat down at a restaurant the other day and he said, "Hey, I'm gonna order..." and I was pretty impressed! He has definitely mastered how to order beers, I think I told him once and he never forgot!

Last night we had some galbi at a restaurant near our place with the Irish girls that work at our school. I don't think I can ever get sick of eating BBQ'd pork for $8 a person. It's unreal.

We had the brilliant idea of going to a movie today to beat the rain, but the only one playing is Mama Mia and John expressed his extreme distaste for chick flicks the minute I read him the list of movies playing. We just missed Dark Night by a couple of days, but in the whole city, the only thing that we can find in English is Mama Mia.

Anyway, maybe I need to get out of the smoky PC Bang and get some air in my brain, I feel like I've smoked a pack of cigarettes just sitting in here. The trade off is that the screens are GIANT and gorgeous.

So, September 30 is the day that I will have my ID card, which means that's when I'll get my phone number, which means that I'll send it out to everyone so that you can give me a call from Skype to our cell. I think that it only costs about 7 cents a minute that way.

Ciao

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog...

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home