Saturday, December 03, 2005

All caught up


Happy Belated US Thanksgiving. I was lucky enough to have a US Thanksgiving dinner on the Yongsan Military Base in Seoul. It was so awesome and I don't think that I've ever eaten so much food in my life. It was great and we had a lot of really cool, really fun people who came too. I'd estimate that there were a little over 200 people there from our Church (which is why we were there in the first place). Anyway, I'd have to say that my personal highlight of that night was encouraging my table to compose a poem, because clearly at things like this they need a way to choose table numbers, and then I read said poem to the room. I didn't even think about what I was doing, I just wrote down everything that anyone said, then ran to the front. Once I was up there I realized...holy crap, there are a lot of people here....and then read the poem and OUSTED the team ahead of me who's number was called...and recalled...after table 15's performance.




The Yongsan Military Base Santa and...Andrew.

Brother Yun and his interpreter, who was an old Finnish man who spoke English and was fluent in Chinese!

The day before this dinner a man named Brother Yun came to speak at my church. Brother Yun is an incredible man from China who essentially initiated the movement in the Chinese house churches. He was imprisoned and severely beaten for his "crimes," but has survived and now travels around the world telling his story and working on new projects with those still in China. However, he can't return there because he can assume he will be excecuted.

Anyway, listening to this man speak after reading his book, The Heavenly Man, was incredible. The night at the church was really awesome. Y'know when you just sense that God is there, I mean, sometimes you know that he is, but you can't always believe that it's true? Well, on this night he was there and I think that everyone knew it. Not because of Brother Yun, because lets be serious, the man doesn't have Jesus in his pocket and let him out when he preaches. But I think that everyone in the room was there with an expectiation that God would do something because most if not all of the people in the room had read his story and knew where this man had come from and what he had been through and so we were all beginning to understand what God is capable of. It was just a truly incredible night and I'm so glad that I had the privelage of going.

In other news, Dan Olson came to my apartment 2 nights ago and ripped a 700 page book in half! I am not even kidding here. He made the claim and Rob wanted him to back it up so he went and found a novel that he had just finished and...well, Dan followed through. Actually I have the event on video, it's wonderful.

It was actually quite impressive to see it all go down. Can't say that I've witnessed it before..

Anyway, it snowed quite a bit here last night and I know that a lot of you in Vancouver have been complaining about the snow there, not like my Ottawa friend who has been in snow like conditions for weeks now...I think she wins.

Anyway, it's cold here and I expect that it will be cold like this and progressively colder until I leave, which happens to be less than 3 months from now. Sometimes I can't believe that I've been here for that long, or that my contract is coming to an end. In many ways I'm ready to go home, but when I think about the reality of my situation: going from living in my own apartment for a year to living with the parents with no car, no job and not much on the go...it's a little intimidating! However, I do have plans to hit up Europe with Kiki in September 2006 for a couple months, so I am pretty stoked about that. I figure that if I don't do it now while I'm young and single and with this money that I've made, that I will regret it forever. So that's that. I'm going.


This picture is my "Korean Girl" picture because every Korean girl has a camera phone and takes pictures of herself on the subway, at work, wherever she can as if to just check her hair.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiki said...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAH! it is the korean girl photo!! we do that at the house b/c Liz takes effing 20 pictures of her self a day, but you gotta get the close mouth smile going on too, and a little more direct at the camera, less forehead

8:41 AM  
Blogger andrew said...

these things take practice, but i'm sure by the end of your time there, you'll be the quintessential korean girl, fo sho.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Hey remember the time i am coming to korea in twelve days? well maybe i can give you some pointers on your photoshooting abilities then, and you mine.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home